[Fedora-directory-devel] aci cache overflown problem - suggested patch for acl.h

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 15:03:45 UTC 2009

Audun Røe wrote:

> Hey,
>

> We're in the process of replacing an old Sun Directory Server 5.2
> deployment. In our preliminary tests using FDS 1.1.0 (this was back in
> Q2 2008 or so), we saw lots of "aci cache overflown" messages in the
> log for some users, and performance would basically drop to
> unacceptable levels. I previously posted about the issue to the
> user-list in early May 2008, though in retrospect the mail probably
> should've gone here. It's archived at
> http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/fedora-directory-users@redhat.com/msg02612.html
> if anyone's interested)
>

> Anyway, searching the cvs tree for the log message and bumping
> ACLPB_MAX_SELECTED_ACLS from 200 to 2000 just happened to solve our
> problem. The change was made as a long-shot in the dark without any
> insight into the code-base, i.e. we don't really have any broad
> understanding of how and where it's used. It just seemingly works.
> During our testing, we have not seen side-effects though we don't
> really have any experience with the unmodified server. It just wasn't
> usable for us with the legacy ldap-structure we have.
>

> I've attached a patch for the one-line change we made, based on the
> source RPM for fds-base-1.1.3. What are your thoughts on including
> this in future revisions? If the patch is unacceptable, would you be
> more prepared to accept a contribution making this configurable from
> dse.ldif?

Yes.  This seems like something that should be configurable.  We would
welcome your contribution.
Step 1) Please review http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Contributing
Step 2) Please open a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora Directory
Server - you can attach patches, tests, etc. to the bug (after we
receive confirmation that you have signed and submitted the CLA)