[389-devel] RFC: New Design: Fine Grained ID List Size

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Sep 10 14:29:14 UTC 2013

On 09/10/2013 01:47 AM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:

> On 09/09/2013 07:19 PM, Rich Megginson wrote:

>>> we have the cardinality of the key in old-idl and this makes some
>>> searches where parts of the filter are allids fast.
>>>
>>> I'm late in the discussion, but I think Rich's proposal is very
>>> promising to address all the problems related to allids in new-idl.
>>>
>>> We could then eventually rework filter ordering based on these
>>> configurations. Right now we only have a filter ordering based on
>>> index type and try to postpone "<=" or similar filter as they are
>>> known to be costly, but this could be more elaborate.
>>>
>>> An alternative would be to have some kind of index lookup caching.
>>> In the example in ticket 47474 the filter is
>>> (&(|(objectClass=organizationalPerson)(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(objectClass=organization)(objectClass=organizationalUnit)(objectClass=groupOf
>>> Names)(objectClass=groupOfUniqueNames)(objectClass=group))(c3sUserID=EndUser0000078458))"
>>> and probably only the "c3sUserID=xxxxx" part will change, if we
>>> cache the result for the (&(|(objectClass=... part, even if it is
>>> expensive, it would be done only once.
>>
>> Thanks everyone for the comments.  I have added Noriko's suggestion:
>> http://port389.org/wiki/Design/Fine_Grained_ID_List_Size
>>
>> David, Ludwig: Does the current design address your concerns, and/or
>> provide the necessary first step for further refinements?
> yes, the topic of filter reordering or caching could be looked at
> independently.
>
> Just one concern abou the syntax:
>
> nsIndexIDListScanLimit:
> maxsize[:indextype][:flag[,flag...]][:value[,value...]]
>
> since everything is optional, how do you decide if in
> nsIndexIDListScanLimit: 6:eq:AND "AND" is a value or a flag ?
> and as it defines limits for specific keys, could the attributname
> reflect this, eg nsIndexKeyIDListScanLimit or nsIndexKeyScanLimit or
> ... ?

Thanks, yes, it is ambiguous.
I think it may have to use keyword=value, so something like this:

nsIndexIDListScanLimit: limit=NNN [type=eq[,sub]] [flags=ADD[,OR]]
[values=val[,val...]]

That should be easy to parse for both humans and machines.
For values, will have to figure out a way to have escapes (e.g. if a
value contains a comma or an escape character).   Was thinking of using
LDAP escapes (e.g. \, or \032)

>>> 389-devel at lists.fedoraproject.org