[389-devel] single valued attribute update resolution

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 25 13:43:43 UTC 2014

There are still scenarios where replication can lead to inconsistent
states for single valued attributes, which I think has two reasons:
- for single valued attributes there are scenarios where modifications
applied concurrently cannot be simply resolved without violating the schema
- the code to handle single valued attribute resolution is quite complex
and has always been extended to resolve reported issues, not making it
simpler

I tried to specify all potential scenarios which should be handled and
what the expected consistent state should be. In parallel writing a test
suite based on lib389 test framework to provide testcases for all
scenarios and then test the current implementation. The doc and test
suite can be used as a reference for a potential rework of the update
resolution code.

Please have a look at:
http://port389.org/wiki/Update_resolution_for_single_valued_attributes

comments, corrections, additonal requirements are welcome - the doc is
not final :-)

Thanks,
Ludwig