[389-devel] Instance discovery tools in lib389

Mark Reynolds mareynol at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 20:45:43 UTC 2015

On 08/11/2015 07:40 AM, William Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> Ultimately, I would like to see some of your new functionally go into
>>> the existing core module, and then write your tools based off of those.
>>> This way it can be leveraged outside of your "specific task" tools - for
>>> use in other new/future tools.  Of course I am specualting a bit,
>>> because I have not seen what you are working on yet.
>> You have already seen my work, and acked most of the functionality into the
>> core
>> modules. Additionally the aci.py module is waiting in your inbox for informal
>> review.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/48236 <- Will be used in conjunction with
>> aci.py to evaluate and test aci functionality is working as expected, both in
>> the aci evaluation engine in 389ds, but also from a semantic point of view of
>> user acis
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/48238 <- Is all the functionality needed
>> make the schema query tool I was discussing before.
> Here is a patch with an example of what I have in mind. It's not perfected, or
> polished, but it demonstrates what I have in mind.
>
> To use it:
>
> python clitools/ds_list_instances.py
>
> python clitools/ds_schema_attributetype_list.py -i "instance name"
>
> The main details are:
>
> * It must be run on the same system as the ds instance.
> * It respects PREFIX for your DS instances.
> * This tool requires permissions to read dse.ldif of the instance. It currently
> doesn't handle permission denied gracefully, as after all it's a POC.
>
> I hope this demonstrates how I want to tie together the other contributions I
> have made into tools, but also making it possible to test other aspects of
> 389ds.
>
> Comments and advice welcome.
Hi William,

This looks good to me, it's definitely a good start.  I see no reason
not to push the patch once you think it's ready and polished enough.
Don't forget to add the license text to new files. <This actually needs
to be done for many of the files in lib389 - I'll open a ticket for that>

Thanks,
Mark