[389-devel] Instance discovery tools in lib389

William Brown william at blackhats.net.au
Fri Aug 14 00:19:04 UTC 2015

> > Here is a slightly more polished CliTools helper, and the addition of a more
> > "interesting" command line tool example of an attribute query tool. You give
> > it
> > an attribute type and it will provide a list of object classes that Must or
> > May
> > take that attribute. I have found this a very useful tool in my work place
> > where
> > we have a complex custom schema, so it's great to know what objectclass to
> > put
> > on objects when you need to put certain attributes on them.
> This will be very useful.  Things like missing objectclasses for
> "memberOf", and such things, always seem to pop up, so this can
> definitely be used on that front.

Certainly. At my workplace, everyone always forgets what objectClass can hold
the attribute "userClass" which we use for some applications. It's great to be
able to look these up.

> > The biggest outstanding part for me now is how to best format the output of
> > the
> > tool. Should I use the same logging tool as lib389? Or print things out in
> > the
> > current form? Or something else.
> I "think" the current form is fine, the lib389 logging is more for how
> the tool is "running" (for troubleshooting, etc), and not what the tool
> should be "doing".  Does that make sense :-)  Perhaps others on this
> list might have a different opinion.
>
> I'll give this some time, and if no one has any concerns/comments I'll
> push the patch.

Okay, if this looks good I'll leave it. I'll certainly polish and improve many
aspects of it in the future, but if you are happy with it as is, I'll leave the
decision to commit to you.

I have attached an updated version that is rebased against current master.

Sincerely,

--
William Brown <william at blackhats.net.au>