[389-devel] Please comment: [389 Project] #48285: The dirsrv user/group should be created in rpm %pre, and ideally with fixed uid/gid

Lukas Slebodnik lslebodn at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 21:32:24 UTC 2015

On (21/10/15 12:34), Rich Megginson wrote:
>On 10/21/2015 12:29 PM, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
>>On (21/10/15 11:20), Noriko Hosoi wrote:
>>>Thanks to William for his reviewing the patch.  I'm going to push it.  But
>>>before doing so, I have a question regarding the autogen files.
>>>
>>>The proposed patch requires to rerun autogen.sh and push the generated files
>>>to the git.  My current env has automake 1.15 and it generates large diffs as
>>>attached to this email.
>>>-# Makefile.in generated by automake 1.13.4 from Makefile.am.
>>>+# Makefile.in generated by automake 1.15 from Makefile.am.
>>>
>>>Is it okay to push the attached patch
>>>0002-Ticket-48285-The-dirsrv-user-group-should-be-created.patch to git or do
>>>we prefer to keep the diff minimum by runing autogen on the host having the
>>>same version of automake (1.13.4)?
>>>
>>May I ask a question; why the autotools generated files have to be stored
>>in git?
>
>Because we do things the old fashioned way - we try to make it so that a user
>can just use configure without having to first use autoconf/autogen.

Old fashion way is used with tarballs

$ tar xfvz game.tgz
$ cd game
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

But tracking generated files in version contol system (git, svn ...)
just complicate a developer's life.

If someone want to build 389-ds from git master then he should
be able to run "autoreconf -if" or autogen script himself.
It can be mantioned in the "BUILD" file.

and released tarball will contain these files
due to "make dist"/ "make dist-gzip"

my 2c

LS