[389-users] 389-ds-base-1.2.10.14-1.el5 broke my server

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 17:30:05 UTC 2012

On 08/30/2012 09:59 AM, Rich Megginson wrote:
> On 08/30/2012 09:54 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> So, 389-ds-base-1.2.10.14-1.el5 came in today and broke my server,
>> ldap searches returned the base of the tree but nothing else.  I
>> needed to downgrade to 1.2.9.9 and restore my /etc/dirsrv/slapd-cora
>> directory from backup.
>
> Can you post your errors log from around the time of the upgrade to
> 1.2.10?
>

>> I ran it in debug mode for a bit before reverting.  Those logs are here:
>>
>> http://www.cora.nwra.com/~orion/dirsrv.debug
>>
>> I also had to remove 50ns-mail.ldif that re-appeared again to avoid
>> conflicts with my custom 60sendmail.ldif, but I expect that I guess.

Ok.  I think what happened is that the schema customizations -changing
the standard 50ns-mail.ldif file and copied in 60sendmail.ldif from the
optional schema - have caused an upgrade problem.  Schema update happens
very early in the upgrade process because subsequent database operations
are dependent on schema.  Schema update replaced the customized
50ns-mail.ldif with the standard one.  When the upgrade attempted to
upgrade the database, it failed due to schema conflicts.  The solution
is to revert or remove the customized schema files in
/etc/dirsrv/slapd-INST/schema, then upgrade, then reapply the schema
customizations.