Group application standardization

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 15:16:36 UTC 2010

One thing I've proposed for our summer coding session is a welcome wizard
to help new users through actually joining us.  One problem I've run into
is how to deal with group application.  Every group is different and it is
very non obvious what needs to be done to join a group.

I suspect many new users show up and are very discouraged.  I'd like to
come up with a single way to join all groups but:

A) I don't know what some groups currently do.

B) I don't know if that will even be possible.

WRT B, joining the infrastructure group is completely different from
joining the packagers group.  Can this be remedied or will we have to come
up with some other workflow?  The main problem I'm trying to solve here is
people coming, applying for a group, and then never hearing from them
again.  Having groups follow up with users _won't_ work.  So it's possible
we may want to get rid of the application button altogether?  I'm mostly
just talking out loud here, please dump your brains if you have other
ideas because I've been thinking about it for a while and don't see an
easy answer :-/

	-Mike