A vision statement

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Aug 18 00:58:16 UTC 2010

 On 08/18/2010 08:08 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 06:01:23PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> In the interest of taking action rather than talking about a vision
>> statement is needed, here is something for target practice, please fire
>> away.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> OUR MISSION (Why we exist)
>>
>> The Fedora Project's mission is to lead the advancement of free and open
>> source software and content as a collaborative community.
>>

>>      * The Fedora Project always strives to lead, not follow.
>>      * The Fedora Project consistently seeks to create, improve, and
>>        spread free/libre code and content.
>>      * The Fedora Project succeeds through shared action on the part of
>>        many people throughout our community.
>>

>> VISION (What we're working towards)
>>
>> The Fedora Project strives towards a world in which computers fueled
>> primarily by free & open source software, both client and server, and
>> content improve the lives of users all over the world.
> I would suggest dropping the 'client and server' part.  It's confusing
> and exclusionary.  What does "client" mean?  Desktop?  If so, then
> you focus on Desktop/Laptop and Servers.  What about Meego and the
> netbooks.  WHAT ABOUT FEDORA ON MY PHONE?  (Just kidding on the last
> one.)
>
> I have other issues with the vision statement too, that is something
> simple and concrete enough to fix.

I hesitate to include my input on this....but I would have some issues
as well.

I have never been a fan of what I consider to be unnecessary qualifiers
when it comes to Vision Statements.  In the area of Our Mission I would
strike the words "always" and "consistently".  Who wouldn't "always
strive" or "consistently seek to improve"?

Also, I would not say "on the part of many" since it lends itself to
interpretation.  Since "many" doesn't imply "all" it may lead to some
folks wondering things like "Who are the many?", "Am I one of the
many?", "How are the many selected?".

I think I would simply state..."shared action on the part of the people
throughout our community".