Board/FESCo mission/vision FAD

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 14:22:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Max Spevack
<mspevack at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Jon Stanley wrote:
>
>> Just a little bit ago on the Board's private list, the idea of a few
>> FAD's, funded by CommArch, was brought up. There's no reason to keep
>> this secret, so I wanted to bring the discussion over here :).
>
> http://mairin.wordpress.com/2010/08/27/fedora-board-meeting-27-august-2010/
>
> After reading the above, I sent the following to board-private:
>
> "I am 100% supportive of FESCO and/or the Board taking the initiative to
> figure out what 3 or 4 useful FADs might look like, some clear
> deliverables for those FADs in support of their technical mission, and
> making sure those get funded with CommArch money.
>
> I'd encourage folks to start by saying 'what problems can we solve with
> the FAD model' and then coming up with budget requests that are
> responsible, rather than trying to start with a fixed budget number and
> working the other direction.

The sort of thing I was thinking about was a situation where FESCo has
adopted a policy and work is being done to implement that policy.
Things are progressing but there is an area or two where work is just
bogged down preventing the policy from taking effect and thereby
preventing the project from reaping the rewards of it or at least
being able to see if the policy has the intended effect. If the areas
work happens to be bogged down in are suitable for kicking into gear
with a FAD I'd like to see FESCo at the very least promote that
possibility to the folks trying to get the work done.

Another example might be a feature that FESCo views as extremely
valuable but that isn't making its timeline for inclusion but that
could with some developer face to face time.

It really is in my view about empowering the community members doing
the work using FESCo as an intelligent vehicle to make that
empowerment happen.

John