Fedora sub-teams and end-of-December planning

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 14 20:49:55 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This list seems like the best place for this note, and I hope it will
generate some discussion and planning.

I remember getting back from the holiday/Christmas/end-of-calendar-year
vacations at the start of 2010 and seeing a few discussions in which
people were disappointed because of miscommunications and expectations
that hadn't been properly planned for.

In short:

Some people's (both Red Hatters and non-Red Hatters) attitude was "ah,
it's finally the two weeks of the year where I can ignore my computer
completely and have a guilt-free vacation!"

Other people's (again both Red Hatters and non-Red Hatters) attitude was
"ah, it's finally the two weeks of the year where I don't have anything
else that I have to do and I can spend more time on Fedora!"

==

These two conflicting approaches to the last 2 weeks of December led to
some frustration, in which people were trying to get stuff done for
Fedora in that time period, but couldn't get in touch with other folks
with whom they'd normally collaborate.

I think it would be useful to have some conversations -- either in
sub-team meetings or in this thread -- I'm not saying what the best way
is -- so that different parts of Fedora can know ahead of time who will
be around and who will be away from Fedora (for whatever reason) so that
everyone can start the last two weeks of December with some transparency
and proper expectation setting from their colleagues in the Fedora
community.

--Max