Localized spins

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:32:51 UTC 2010

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/spins/2010-February/000985.html

I'm not sure I agree with having spins that just change a default
language selection for the convenience of local users.  For a while we
did have a Hindi spin, which didn't see a lot of downloads as I
recall, although certainly you wouldn't expect to see as many of those
as for a standard spin.

On the one hand, this seems like no problem from the perspective of
the Fedora brand.  The user gets the exact same experience as if they
had chosen their language manually the same way.  It would be easy for
us to have a policy that grants TM approval for a spin whose only
change is the default language selection.  Then a local Ambassador can
produce that pressed media if they care to do so.

On the other hand, I don't think that the Fedora Project should be
required to host these spins by default, because I think it
trivializes spins to have an explosion of per-locale ISOs adding
negligible value other than the locale specificity.

I'm pretty sure the Board dealt with this issue previously, maybe
while I was on it.  We should document our decision on the Spins site,
after we revisit it making sure that we're taking into account recent
spin history.