Response to "Getting Fedora Out of the If-Then Loop"

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 23:43:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 19.02.2010, 15:26 -0800 schrieb Jesse Keating:

> > > So by that definition, how are LXDE and Xfce different from KDE or
> > > GNOME? The only difference is that they are not on the DVD, but they all
> > > are desktop environments with a collection of applications.
> >
> > They are different because they are "spins".  They are things which are
> > more sig driven than project driven,
>
> Same goes for KDE
>
> > they are offered torrent only,
>
> This is something I would like to see changed
>
> > the
> > comprise packages mostly not found on the DVD / split media offering,
>
> This is something we should change too. Xfce and LXDE will only take
> another 30 MB on the DVD image.

You're only thinking about you and your images aren't you?  What happens
when we put your stuff on the DVD?  next the sugar guys say "hey!  LXDE is
on there!"  Then Kde, etc, etc.  It doesn't work like that and I know that
makes it harder on you but that's just how it is.

We have to think about our decisions beyond just what is in front of us.
That's why when we upgraded our primary mirrors we didn't say "well, lets
make sure we have enough room for LXDE".  We have to think bigger then
that.

	-Mike