Fedora Board Strategic Working Group

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 05:06:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:

> Spins (today) have the technical implementation detail that all their
> packages must come from the one repository that is Everything, which
> might limit what they can do if they have needs that conflict with the
> "default spin" (i.e. Desktop).  I think there can be ways devised (by
> FESCo, Spins SIG, Rel-Eng, or other interested parties) to address
> this, if it proves to be a problem in practice.  I don't know if it
> is - perhaps members of the Spins SIG can enlighten us.

Everything consists of the entirety of software that is available in
Fedora, not restricted to one DE (maybe you're thinking the Fedora
directory here?).  We do (and should) require that all software in a
branded spin come from the Everything repo. However, a remix is free
to mix and match from whatever sources it wants, but it cannot be
branded Fedora.