virtio-win drivers

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:27:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 05:18:56PM -0500, Tim Burke wrote:
> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > On 01/14/2010 04:05 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> >
> >> I'm less willing to believe that the mere hosting of code built
> >> on other platforms is unmanageable, or intrinsically contrary to the
> >> goals of the project.
> >>

> > Okay, I may have misread this. If all that is being asked of Fedora is
> > to provide hosting space for these drivers, I suppose that is fine.
> >
> > To be clear (from my perspective):
> >
> >  * Including pre-built virtio-win driver in a Fedora package [ NOT OK ]
> >  * Hosting pre-built virtio-win driver in a Fedora Hosted project (along
> > with source) [ OK ]
> >

> The implications are that the "user experience" implications are that
> the user will have to manually read all the instructions where it says
> "go over to this other place to pick up the rest of the needed parts".
>
> Meaning that there is a way to provide all the pieces in Fedora, just
> that its not as convenient.

Actually, if the virt-manager has a way of detecting that it needs
virtio-win, it should be possible to do something fairly user-visible,
downloading the driver ISO and making sure it's known about
thereafter.  I'm not sure how easy that is from the CLI-exclusive
user's perspective, maybe it's not much difference.