Board Strategic Working Group Meeting Recap 2010-01-25

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 23:52:44 UTC 2010

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_strategic_working_group_2010-01-25

== Roll Call ==

Attendees: Paul Frields, Mike McGrath, Chris Tyler, Colin Walters, Matt
Domsch, John Poelstra

== Finalized list of resolved and unresolved issues and initiatives ==
* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unfinished_Board_issues
* Went through each of the specified tasks and assigned an owner to each one
* Agreed on next steps:
** Each owner will create separate wiki pages for each issue using a
common template to include the following primary sections:
**# Issue
**# Background
**# Possible Solutions
**# Risk/Benefits analysis
** Add all wiki pages [Category:Strategic working group]
FOR NEXT MEETING:
* We will all set up skeleton wiki pages in [Category:Strategic working
group] and attempt to fill in the background section and as much of the
rest of the page as possible
* Link all issue pages back to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Unfinished_Board_issues

== Explaining the Importance of Strategy ==
* '''BRAINSTORMING: not to be taken as set policy'''
* Background: lay out reasons why the Board (and this work group) are
pursuing these issues and the benefits that will result to Fedora from
doing so
* Colin: The board work doesn't necessarily have to be negative or
create restrictions on groups inside Fedora; instead one could think of
it as finding commonality and providing a framework.
* Paul: Perception of Fedora carrying the torch of free software needs
to strongly match the reality
** Contributors fully recognized for their work and progress in the free
software community
** We want Fedora to be successful, understood by more people, and we
want it to prosper.  This happens by:
*** Attracting more contributors
*** Making sure we are putting effort into the right areas--cannot
attack everything equally
*** Work hard to collectively/collaboratively solve these problems
*** Making sure support and resources are going to the key areas that
help us blaze a trail forward
*** Continuing to implicitly allow and encourage groups and personal
initiatives that fall outside of the key areas, provided that they do
not impede progress in the key areas
* John: We want to be clear about why we are creating the default spin
and who it is for so that we can measure our success or failure
** This helps to build sustainable, achievable release processes because
we have a clear sense of what must work and for whom
* Mike: We need to have current goals for why we exist and what our
purpose is so that outside and inside people have a sense where Fedora
is going and what its direction is
** John: this gives them something to grab onto and belong to vs. people
showing up to a massive sand box with lot of people doing their own
thing where it is unclear where to get involved, what is most important,
what the critical mass of people is working on.
* Chris: move these ideas to a separate wiki page
NEXT ACTIONS:
* John will create a wiki with above bullets
* Continue to work together to craft some tighter statements that the
board as a whole can review and agree on

== Next Meeting ==
* February 8, 2010 @ 15:00 EST