Planet Fedora guidelines?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 18 15:10:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 07:57 -0700, Luis Villa wrote:
> Seth asked about Chrome and Firefox; I think
> http://twitter.com/mozillafavs might be instructive- these are tweets
> that Mozilla employees retweet to the world from screens inside our
> office. They frequently contain positive comments about Chrome and
> negative comments about Firefox- complaints about crashes, kudos to
> our competitors, etc. That's the right response to problems like this-
> don't say 'ban them!', acknowledge and embrace the competition, and
> then ask 'why is this happening? what do we do to make ourselves
> competitive so that this doesn't happen?' While you can argue whether
> or not Mozilla is doing this effectively, I think it is hard to argue
> that it isn't a healthier long-term approach than the reflexive
> whining about Ubuntu that seems (at least to this relative outsider)
> to have permeated the Fedora culture.

I think Twitter is a little bit different than a planet. To me a planet
is a lot more representative of the project as a whole than individual
personalities. Twitter comes off as a lot more representative of the
individuals own voices. I think because not everyone understands what a
planet is, they assume some kind of editing (which some planets have) of
membership and content, like a newsletter or something.

Re: reflexive whining, I really don't give a crap about ubuntu, which is
why I don't care to read about it on my planet.

(ps Wouldn't it be a lot cooler if Mozilla used identi.ca rather than
twitter for mozillafavs?)

~m