export restrictions

Gregory Zysk gmzysk at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 10 17:11:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>wrote:

> On 03/10/2010 11:27 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/world/08export.html

> > Seeking to exploit the Internet’s potential for prying open closed
> > societies, the Obama administration will permit technology companies to
> > export online services like instant messaging, chat and photo sharing to
> > Iran, Cuba and Sudan, a senior administration official said Sunday.
> > The administration’s blanket waiver does not apply to encryption and
> other
> > software that makes it harder for the authorities to track people’s
> Internet
> > activity. That category of technology does not fall within the
> mass-market
> > services that can be downloaded free from the Internet, he said.
> >
> > But the official said the Treasury would grant licenses to such providers
> on
> > a case-by-case basis, and would generally look favorably on them.
> >
> > Has the Fedora Board considered asking their legal representatives
> > if such a waiver could be granted to the Project as a whole?
>
> Yes. Already asked, Fedora doesn't qualify.

Is there a specific reason or reasons why we do not qualify? This would be
nice to know since it could have an impact on certain elements in the
future.

Greg

> ~spot

Title: Fedora Ambassador Netherlands
User Homepage: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gmzysk

PGP Fingerprint: 4643 E1AE 1AAD 85D4 6276
                        7C42 3591 A189 B8BF 04D6