Proposal for the new Fedora Project

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Fri Oct 1 15:17:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Imagine that technology applied to actual applications.... That run
>> anywhere HTML5 does.  Our idea of the desktop is gone.

Except that you still need an OS to actually *run* these things.  So -
are you proposing Fedora continue the OS?  Or do we just make
apps/infrastucture, and tell people you need to install Windows or OS
X?

If we're continuing the OS, then what's stopping anyone from starting
work on the next Skywriter, whether hosted at fedorahosted, github, or
mozilla?  Do you think applying the Fedora brand is going to jumpstart
things?  Or having Red Hat's brand sort-of behind it?

>>  Not just from Red Hat

Here's the problem - Fedora as currently run has a benefit to Red Hat,
because we (and here I'm speaking as a RH employee) ship an enterprise
general purpose OS, and that's why the money is applied.  If we're
talking about something totally different, how does RH benefit?