Regarding re branded Fedora Remixes using Fedora community resources.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 23:39:10 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 07:48 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Anyhow, just datapoints. This issue seems way overblown to me and being
> discussed before there is any real issue to act on (ie, is there some
> case where trying to help someone running a remix is causing problems
> for us?)

Now this is the second time that it's assumed that I'm acting out of
some kind off emotional behaviour because what was revealed by a
concerned community member on the Fedora test list [1] regarding Fusion
Linux.
The first one [2] I could have responded with equal observation and
assumption on certain person responses but I chose not to steep to that
level and and aid in steering this conversation away from the underlying
problem or the questions I was directing the board with.

Now you may believe that I am that simple and narrow minded and i'm
acting on some kind of emotional outburst but I assure you I am not..

I actually did bother to put me in the Fusion remix maintainer shoes
retrace his step which revealed to me two underlying problems we have
one was regarding remixes and the other one is not.

And so it can be clear this is not about any specific unofficial remixes
but unofficial remixes in general and please refrain from claiming that
this is not an issue or is an issue ( yes that includes me as well ) nor
that this benefits the community or does not benefit community ( again
yes that includes me as well ) as things are now we have absolutely now
way of telling that since there is no distinction made between the
official release vs unofficial remixes heck for all we now there could
be hundreds of remixes out there and we might even owe half of all
Fedora measured success to one of those remixes yes it's unlikely but
there well could be so the extend of the problem cant be reliable
measured nor the benefits they have or do not have for the community.

That data simply does not exist at this point in time.

JBG

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2010-October/094830.html
[2]
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-October/009595.html