Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-09-03

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 3 22:32:46 UTC 2010

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_meeting_2010-09-03

= Board Meeting 03 Sep 2010 =

== Roll Call ==
* Present: Chris Tyler, Jared Smith, Máirín Duffy, Jon Stanley, Matt
Domsch, Colin Walters, Tom 'spot' Callaway, Stephen 'Smooge' Smoogen
* Regrets: Rex Dieter
* MIA: Chris Aillon
* Assigned meeting secretary: Máirín Duffy

== Agenda ==
* Updates
* Top Tickets
* Other Board Business

=== Updates ===
* F14 progressing towards Beta
** Still lots of blockers on the blocker list, unfortunately
*** systemd go/no-go decision at some point? (Yes, when is up to FESCo)
*** Jared start convos about the feature process
**** does there need to be something more formal than the wiki page
**** want to ensure features will interact well with other features too
**** FESCo with primary responsibility of figuring this out - want to
have joint meeting with FESCo deciding on these things
** Please try to get people involved in Test Days
*** Help get the word out on the systemd test day -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-09_Systemd
* New Meeting Time?
** Friday PM meetings are tough b/c easy to forget things over weekend
** only got 8 responses to whenisgood.net, 4 times everyone can make so
far (All Eastern Time):
*** Add here if you're OK with any - walters spot mizmo
*** 2 pm on Monday - jsmith jstanley ctyler mdomsch
*** 4 pm on Monday - jstanley jsmith
*** 2 pm on Wednesday - Matt ctyler
*** 4 pm on Wednesday - jstanley jsmith
** Monday general a good time for meetings - start week on the right
foot, but also sometimes can get cancelled from holidays
** 1 hour long, but block of 1.5 hours just-in-case (follow-up convos,
etc)
** So far favorite time seems to be 2 pm on Monday
*** won't meet next Monday
*** IRC meeting next week (10 Sep)
*** pick up with Monday schedule on (13 Sep)
*** #action jsmith to update meeting times on wiki page (wiki/Board,
wiki/Board - past meetings info box)
* Is the Board working as it should?
** Email from Sankarshan
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-September/009193.html
** Matt:
*** has not had as much time as he's wanted to devote to board stuffs
*** some items should have fast turnaround times - e.g.,
fedoracommunity.org domains - but we're been lagging on these
** Jon:
*** can we have a way to fast-track these small items? they only should
take a day or two
** Jared:
*** should just take care of it on the mailing list right?
*** a lot of this stuff could be done on the list
*** haven't seen as many posts from board members on the advisory-board
list
*** try to communicate more on the board list if you haven't been
*** shouldn't have to wait for next phone meeting to take care of small
things like trademark agreements & community domains
** Colin:
*** review after commit? can they just put up a site and notify us,
within a week after the site is up, they can get approval to continue?
** Jared:
*** should definitely have website up & running before we do the
approval
*** maybe we assign a temp domain, temp39.fedoracommunity.org until we
approve it formally
*** no blanket approval on requested domain name only - need to see the
site too
** Matt:
*** How involved are we individually on messages on advisory board.... I
read it a lot but don't necessarily post a whole lot; it's just how I
tend to operate. For example, the last thread, I jumped in, but I don't
want to go back and forth just for the sake of doing so
** Jared:
*** important once in a while just to say hey we're listening & paying
attention
*** past members of board/fesco/community - a lot feel like they are
ignored, nobody is giving them feedback that they've heard what was said
*** don't have to agree all the time, but make it clear we're listening
- maybe just not ready to jump in yet
** Jon:
*** when I do post my posts tend to be dissected in the most negative
way possible :(
** mizmo:
*** Frustrated about talking about doing rather than doing
** Smooge:
*** Things take longer when you're trying to build consensus
*** Miscommunication easy over terminology eg.
*** Take longer to communicate on a board to make sure everyone uses
same words with same meanings since so much communication is
'overloaded'
** Jared:
*** Not the only one frustrated
*** As much communication as possible on mailing list before meeting
** Mizmo:
*** idea for shared blog for board
*** easier to moderate commentary
*** one place to go to see what board's working on
*** some concerns about board blog vs individual board member blogs
** Jared:
*** #action mizmo & jstanley to talk to mmcgrath about setting it up on
the existing fedora blogs system blogs.fedoraproject.org
** How do we hold each other accountable?
*** if you say you are gonna do something....
*** list of tickets... we haven't gotten so far on 'em
*** we haven't gone through as often as we should to close them
*** during meetings only have time for top 5-6 tickets, a lot more in
there
*** if you think i should be doing x on a ticket and aren't, feel free
to call me on it
** Spot:
*** anybody interested in triaging the trac queue? (someone who's been
on board a while would be good for backhistory on issues)
** Ctyler:
*** is there an RSS feed for open tickets in a trac?
** Mdomsch:
*** after fedoracommunity.org domain requests, only about 12 tickets so
not a huge task to triage

* Outstanding community domain requests
** Ticket 72: lu.fedoracommunity.org
*** https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/72
*** Belgium & Luxemborg
*** Matt in favor of lu because Belgium folks hosting it
**** Smooge, Jared, Matt, Jon in favor
**** Chris T (re: Spot's comment)- isn't mockup part of the process?
**** Matt: is lu.fco going to point to be.fco? That's what Matt thought
- we can ask for clarification
** Jared: keyword in trac for community domain requests to make it easy
to pull up a report?
*** Matt: 'fedoracommunity' or 'fedoradomain'?
*** Spot: 'community domain request"
*** Matt: Here's the trac report for community domain requests:
https://fedorahosted.org/board/report/1
*** Jared: Everybody on the board is now a trac admin
** Ticket 73: arabic
*** Language rather than geography. from our mailing list that would be
fine
*** https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/73
*** we still need to see content for what they want to post
*** Jon: I don't understand any language other than English... how will
we know what it says?
*** Jared: Google translate for an approximation
*** Spot: I know some Arabic speakers who could review for us
*** Chris T: I think we have a precedent for language sites: didn't we
approve a Farsi site, for folks who speak Farsi from multiple countries?
***** Spot: actually I think it was trademark approval for a site that
wasn't fedoracommunity.org
*** Jared: overall we don't care about language vs. geo as long as there
isn't any conflicting namespace
** Ticket 74: dk for denmark? dk for language or country?
*** https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/74
*** Spot: if it's for a language should be full language name, country
or region should be country code, standardize on that and deal with odd
cases as we need to
*** Jared: spanish.fedoracommunity.org & espanol.fedoracommunity.org? -
Spot that's fine, just make it clear languages spelled out
** Ticket 75: China (zn, ch, tw)
*** https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/75
*** IIRC we'd said ch is okay, not the other two
*** cn is the country code
**** Spot: they should be getting cn....
**** Jon: then give them cn
**** Spot: do the other codes conflict?
***** ch is switzerland - can't give them that
***** cn is china - so that one is ok for the main website
***** tw is taiwan - ask them not to use tw
***** zn is not a country code (but we did grant an exception to the
greece one as a bounce, Spot says this would be a similar exception -
use it just as a redirect)

=== Meta Meeting Discussion ===

* Colin: Not a lot of time left, let's prioritize on what we have left
* Spot/Jared: if we need to have more meetings to get it done rather
than linger forever, we should do on a temp basis
* Chris T: add a Wed meeting for a week or two to deal with backlog?
** Agreed: Spot / Jon / Matt / Chris
** next meeting 08 Sept 2010 @ 4 pm phone meeting
** at that meeting we'll review if we need another extra credit meeting
** the week after a bunch of us will be in Zurich

=== Review of open tickets ===
* Ticket 78: Vision statement
** when will we be ready to vote on vision statement?
*** mizmo - once we have a statement we agree on we should try to come
up with 3-4 shorter term mini vision statements, focuses for the
immediate future/etc., draw them out too because they may change the
wordsmithing of the vision statement
*** deadline: board meeting Monday 27 Sept, phone meeting - includes
vision statement AND short term goals....
*** homework - chime in on list
* Ticket 79: Anthropology Report
* Ticket 81: start.fedoraproject.org
** #action Jared will be working with marketing team, mentioned to Robyn
but not whole team yet so will follow back up on
* Ticket 82: Charter for Community Working Group
** #action Rex has ticket and posted an update to the list this morning
* Ticket 83: Revisit Updates Vision
** #action Rex to start conversation on his concern with the updates
vision to get to a point it can be thumbs'ed up or thumbs-ed down
* Ticket 84: Annual User Survey
** Jon & Jared: think the answer is yes, but did we learn anything from
the last one? (Anthropology report)
** Jared: dont think we've done any actionable items on it - if we're
not taking action on data we do have why collect more?
** Spot: not a user survey, a contributor survey. Not folks who just
consume. Request here is to ask folks who are not contributors too.
** Spot is okay with ticket #84 if Robyn is doing it, not biased, knows
what she is doing and has a good approach proposed

=== Other Board Business ===

==== IRC Meetings? ====
* Matt: not getting stuff done, just answering questions.
** Mizmo: important but more like office hours
** Jared: homework for next Wed's meeting - less IRC meetings, have them
at different times than phone meetings or board meetings? extra office
hours? How should this be structured?
** Matt: no less than monthly on IRC -how has turnout been? Have always
been able to use up the hour. Bi-weekly makes sense maybe.
** Smooge: people feel like there's a bunch of pent up 'are you really
listening'
** Mizmo: suggested maybe having office hours bi-weekly, but not every
board member has to go, maybe rotating duty for 4-5 board members a
week.... then have regular board meetings weekly on phone?

==== Helpful things to do in the next week ====
* Look over blocker list and help out
* Help get the word out on the systemd test day on Sept. 9
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-09-09_Systemd)
* Look at vision statement thus far on advisory-board list. Need a
vision statement we can agree on and ~3ish short term goals for taking
action towards that vision.
** Thread beginning:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-August/009026.html
* Think about our meeting structure. Homework for next Wed's meeting -
less IRC meetings, have them at different times than phone meetings or
board meetings? extra office hours? How should this be structured?

=== Action Items ===
* #action jsmith to update meeting times on wiki page (wiki/Board,
wiki/Board - past meetings info box)
* #action mizmo & jstanley to talk to mmcgrath about setting it up on
the existing fedora blogs system blogs.fedoraproject.org
* #action mdomsch to ask luxemborg peeps if they intend to put
lu.fedoracommunity.org as a redirect to be.fedoracommunity.org -
https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/72
* #action Rex has ticket and posted an update to the private list this
morning - community charter group
* #action Rex to start conversation on his concern with the updates
vision to get to a point it can be thumbs'ed up or thumbs-ed down
*  #action Jared will be working with marketing team on
start.fedoraproject.org, mentioned to Robyn but not whole team yet so
will follow back up on

== Next meeting ==
* Next meeting: Wed 08 September 2010, phone meeting 4 pm, regrets
CTyler
** Should we invite FESCo? FAMSCo? A particular SIG?
* Next meeting after that: Friday 10 September 2010, public IRC meeting
#fedora-board-meeting
* Then 13 Sept 2010 Phone meeting
* Then 20 Sept 2010 IRC
* Then 27 Sept 2010 Phone deadline for vision muahahaha

[[Category:Board meetings]]