Fedora website, Red Hat, copyright notices and FPCA

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 21:43:01 UTC 2011

On 06/28/2011 03:07 AM, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> The FPCA has been discussed by the Board in several of our meetings
> over the past several months.  Lately the FPCA discussion has mostly
> centered around the implementation details and status updates, but you
> can well imagine that it would be hard to change something like the
> CLA->FPCA without getting the Board's attention

I understand that.  Perhaps I should have been more clear.   Did the
Board start with the assumption that FPCA is necessary and move on to
discuss the implementation details or were the board members convinced
that it was necessary and there is sufficient justification for it in
the first place,  enough to get every contributor to sign it
compulsorily?   Is the Fedora Board willing to entertain a alternative
proposal that has no implicit "default license" but accepts any Free
software license (acceptable by the licensing guidelines) that is
explicit?    My fundamental disagreement with the FPCA is based on the
principle that implicit licenses are hidden and non-obvious to
contributors,  especially those who exist outside the Fedora world and
want to reuse what we create (spec files etc).

Rahul