Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Sun Oct 16 04:32:23 UTC 2011

----- "Jef Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> > editing that page is far easier than changing the default URL.
>
> And it provides us a reusable mechanism for the next time we feel a
> need to memorialize.  In fact couldn't we change the contents of the
> page for F15 right now and be even _more_ timely? And this sets a
> precedent for every future need to do this. We change the page
> contents for a few weeks as per the expected cultural norm.  And
> given
> the chance (due to timeliness) we can dedicate releases in the
> release
> notes for new releases.
>
> Our releases are like books or movies or tv shows, books and movies
> and tv shows don't change their  eposodic naming because someone
> important to the creators died while the creative work was in
> production. No they add a dedication page/screen at the beginning or
> the end and pay their respects that way.  There's no need for us to
> wring our hands and try to do something more elaborate than that and
> prepare ourselves to do it again and again and again without any need
> to fight about process. Or we can go further and do like the Oscar
> Awards show does and have a dedicated space to all those who passed
> in
> our community since the last release if we find there are more than
> one person who deserves to be remembered in the context of our
> creative work and our community.

This is the best idea on this subject I have heard so far. Well other than the one that rattles around in my head. Rename F16 Ritchie and let the naming of releases die also, we can forget that "Beefy Miracle" ever happened...

;)

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |