Fedora naming proposal

Lynn Dixon boodaddy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 22:37:44 UTC 2012

Denis,
One thing to keep in mind with naming conventions based on materials like
wood / crystal / diamond etc, is that people would tend to think of these
names as a progression from good to best.  Since Fedora has a very fast
release cycle, once we ended up at something like platinum, where would we
go next? Into the heavy elements?

What about this:
We come up with some sort of voting system to identify the person whom
contributed the most forward thinking ideas, most useful code contribution,
or did something spectacular for the upcoming release.  The, we name the
release after that persons hometown.  This keeps the community involved in
voting for the name, as well as the community being able to identify and
cheer for the person that had the most impact during that release.