Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Zoltan Hoppar hopparz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:17:35 UTC 2012

Hi

My personal opinion - partially agree with who says that we have to
drop this current form of naming process. But for entirely, is
bullshit. Why?

Well,
- People are giving names their kids right? Fedora isn't the kid of
our community?
- Why couldn't we choose only an name that we could build an entire
marketing campaign, and get an advantage from curious or playful
hacked names? Why couldn't we make associations with names, and show
development curve - what we have done? Why couldn't we target an main
feature, and associate an name to it?
- Fedora is basically as we say bleeding edge, pioneering - right? Why
couldn't say we are naming after scientists, inventors - dead or
living one doesn't matter - and gain support from institutes....
earlier we did dedication to our distribution, right? Let me ask - how
many website has picked up our distro and introduced Fedora?

A distribution, without a name, is without personality, or identity.
If it has no identity, then it means we have a huge trouble.

2012/3/23 Randall Berry <randyn3lrx at gmail.com>:
> On 03/23/2012 12:27 PM, Brian Pepple wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 10:24 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>>> I think we should drop the naming process altogether.
>>>
>>> For the following reasons:
>>>
>>> 1. the names do not serve any use
>>> 2. the names are a waste of time and effort to administer the process
>>> 3. no one remembers the names.
>>> 4. the names are potentially divisive.
>>>
>>> Let's do away with naming releases altogether and side step this entire
>>> issue.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> Later,
>> /B
>
> +1
>
> Dropping the release names sounds good to me.

PGP:  06853DF7