Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 13:05:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 10:24 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> I think we should drop the naming process altogether.
>
> For the following reasons:
>
> 1. the names do not serve any use
> 2. the names are a waste of time and effort to administer the process
> 3. no one remembers the names.
> 4. the names are potentially divisive.
>
> Let's do away with naming releases altogether and side step this entire
> issue.

I agree - the naming thing started as a fun game, then it got
'standardized', and now it is just one more process that has stopped to
be either fun or useful. Apart from the problems that Seth has listed,
others have pointed out that the expected connection of the release name
to the artwork is more often than not problematic.

Time to reevaluate and come up with something fresh and fun that we can
do for each release.

How do we make that happen ?

Matthias