Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 08:14:09 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 06:52 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> > We could, theoretically, just add "No Name, F18 and beyond" in the
> > list
> > with all other release names, in one vote.
>
> The issue with this approach is that it leaves the folks who like
> having
> names but dislike the current 'is a' process without a say.
>
> So why not continue F18's process as planned since it was already
> started, as you suggested? Then have a separate vote after that one,
> where as a community we can decide either no release name or select a
> scheme for the release names to follow.

+1, for me it would be sound like we do not respect already submitted
proposals (even I know some of them are for fun/naming rejection ones).

As there's already "Comment" column, we can let people to do a community
self-test, as Robyn pointed out - we have to trust US at first!

Another idea was prolonging the voting/vetting period - I'm not sure it
will work - people steps into naming process when it's announced and then
once voting is open, I expect top activity during this period (and both
are already quite long. For Board members - more time could help us add
another step - to go back to community with Board selected names with
explanation of issues, why we decided to do it and ask for last changes
call before sending it to Legal. Actually it should be already done this
way, just last time we ran out of time (still I think it wasn't about the
amount of time but there was some slip...) and the proposed names were
send immediately to Legal (as this takes some time too).

R.