Mailing list discussion

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:48:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 01:57:44PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 05:22:41PM -0400, Eric Sparks Christensen wrote:
> > mailing lists.  The first idea was to implement a 'Board-Public'
> > mailing list that would allow Board members to discuss ideas while
> > allowing those communications to be public (both the archive and in
> > real-time via regular subscriptions).  This would differ from the
> > Advisory-Board list where the public also has the ability to
> > communicate with the Board members in public.  There was much
>
> I'm in favor of using this list, *or* the main devel list. Traffic is down
> dramatically from the busy times of 2007-2009. In fact, it looks like busy
> days now are basically up to the level of slow periods back then:
>
> http://gmane.org/plot-rate.php?group=gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.devel
>
> I think decreased engagement overall is a bigger problem than noise at this
> point, and I don't think more lists will help.

The real question is -- how is engagement from Board Members on Board
issues?  If the engagement of Board members to topics on this list doesn't
go up then we've just shifted the problem from the board-private list to the
weekly meetings.  That is problematic for two reasons:

1) The phone meetings are even more private than the board-private list....
we can, at least, talk about forwarding all of the mailed discussions that
went on there.  We have no such capability to publish what was talked about
on the phone.

2) Attendance at Board meetings -- while we usually have quorum, we seldom
have 100% attendance (that's happened maybe two or three times that I've
been on the Board).  That's okay for voting on issues.  But not ideal for
discussing them and the process of redrafting proposals until they reach
consensus.

-Toshio