Brainstorming ideas for next user base discussion

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Apr 9 20:05:56 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 15:06:26 -0400,
   Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I took the meeting minutes from the user base discussion meeting last
>week and wrote up a blog post on the meeting -
>http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2013/04/09/fedora-board-fedora-userbase-discussion/

Thanks! That is a pretty coherent summary of what was a very chaotic and
fast paced meeting.

>1) "Who Do"
>
>We start off with a goal or vision statement. In this case, the
>statement could be:
>
>"Fedora will be an awesome platform for building things."

This one seems like it might give us some idea of what would need to
change to make Fedora a platform. (Though there is likely to be some
big differences in opinion on the kind of platform.)

>2) "3-12-3"
>
>Depending on how many people show up to the meeting, we might want to
>break out into groups, but it should work for up to 10 active participants.
>
>This one is based on timing. We start with a topic, again it could be:
>
>"A platform for building technology"

I don't imagine this is going to work very well over IRC at this time.
I think it may be too chaotic to manage well in a short time.

>3) "Cover Story"
>
>Pretend that we've reached our goal of being the ultimate platform for
>building technology on top of, and that we're being featured on the
>cover of a prominent mainstream magazine. As a group, brainstorm what
>the magazine issue's content will contain:

I think this might be better after we have explored more of what being
a platform might mean.

>4) "Pre-Mortem"
>
>Pretend Fedora failed and is dead, and we need to come up with an
>obituary of the achievements it accomplished over its life and how
>things went wrong. There's going to be two main threads to the
>discussion on this one:

I don't know that this one will help us move forward very well. Though it
might be fun as a combination of a history lesson and nostalgia. And I'd
like to see more group fun in the project.

>5) "The 5 Whys"
>
>You start off with a problem statement. Our problem statement could be:
>
>"Fedora is not the best platform for building new technology."
>
>As a group, brainstorm a set of reasons why the problem is a problem.
>Number each reason.

I think this is another one that might not work too well until we have a
better idea of what kind of platform we want to be.