Board meetings format

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 21:48:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:20:07 +0200,
>   Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
>>

>> Well, the previous meeting was a little bit too alive to be followed, so
>> while I have no idea on how to achieve that, I think a little bit more
>> order would not be bad.
>

> Yeah, that was a pretty fast paced and chaotic meeting, but it get a lot of
> input in much less time than normal. I wouldn't to have meetings like that
> very often, but I think it worked for this one. Mizmo has made a really nice
> summary of what was said at the meeting that is much easier to read through
> than it was live at the meeting.

I feel a bit lonely being comfortable with these free flowing
meetings. Lack of much structure does result in some chaos but I think
it also makes people feel much more comfortable saying what they
think.

>> Maybe we could ask to people to send their questions in advance ?
>> ( not sure if this would work fine )
>

> I would think that people wanting to ask about things that would provoke
> discussion would definitely want to send them in in advance and get them on
> the agenda, so that interested people could participate.

I'm not sure what makes anyone think anyone has anything they want to
discuss with the board. I haven't seen any evidence of that in many
meetings or on this mailing list. So far in my experience lively
discussions are provoked by the board doing something that annoys at
least some community members. Our community is pretty self-sufficient
and if the governance bodies aren't making life hard on anyone things
tend to be pretty quiet.

John