Request: ban Harald Reindl from devel@

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed May 22 18:22:09 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 05:41 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 17:12:58 +0000,
>   "\"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson\"" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 05/22/2013 04:31 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem Harald isn't noise. It is his being very rude to people
>>> frequently.
>>
>> One mans heaven is another mans hell.
>>
>> What I'm trying to say with this is that you might feel something is
>> rude and offensive while I for example do not and even if I would
>> think it would be rude I would still try to listen to what that
>> individual would say then try to figure the root cause for it and the
>> way to fix it but then again that's just how my mind works.
>
> I think one can really state objectively that Harald is frequently
> very rude to people in email messages. It is probably the case that
> this rudeness bothers some people more than others. But just because
> it doesn't bother some people, is not a reason to let this practice
> continue.
>
>> Starting to filtering people based on other peoples feeling will
>> never lead to any good.
>
> Harald's behavior is going to drive some people away from Fedora.

I dont think you can say that with any certainty until that left msg
because of him finds it's way to -devel and even then it becomes a
question if that truly is that root cause for that individual to make
him leave Fedora or something else or even how dedicated that
contributor that left might have been to Fedora in the first place.

We in QA probably have the biggest rotation of contributors in the
community in whole leaving few that survive a whole GA from starting of
development to EOL so it's really hard to measure who's dedicated and
who's not.

> There is no need for Harald to be behaving like that. He needs to cut
> the pointless insults (for example calling people stupid) and cut back
> on the swearing. Less hyperbole would be nice as well, but that isn't
> something I'd want to ban people over.

Agreed

And I personally would like us ( the community ) to avoid crossing over
and implementing the ban barrier and the point of no return in the process.

>> Our community is made up of people that look differently,act
>> differently are of different genders, are of different age and are
>> from all over the world which are all part of the same community for
>> different reason so where are you going to draw the line when you
>> start doing that?.
>
> I am not sure where the exact line his, but Harald's behavior is
> pretty clearly beyond it. It's not like he can't change to resolve the
> issue.

Harald's behavior is not limited to Fedora he responds in the same
manner on other non Fedora mailing lists so this method of communication
of his, indicates it is not Fedora specific or targeted at Fedora ( all
thou there is a clear underlying frustration of how certain things have
been handled which to a sense is understandable since I do believe he
runs Fedora in his or the company he works for infrastructure which
might have affected him financially added additional workload on him
which can be traced to FESCO and it's member not thinking things
thoroughly through before ack/nack various proposals and or the feature
process ) like and it's users.

It's just how that individual communicates ( on mailing list anyway
never met him in person thus not capable of judging his character ).

JBG