Board/Project Governance

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:58:11 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:

All that indicates in my case is that I had some curiosity about what
non-board input you would get in response.

>>> Or have I done the impossible?  Have I proposed something that is
>>> either universally agreeable or universally hated?  Seems unlikely.
>>
>> I will buy you a hot dog if you did one or the other. :)
>
> The overall lack of commenting really kind of baffles me still.  Now I
> can't tell if it's simply apathy, "silence means agreement", or some
> kind of boycott.

I proposed a modest change in the board's composition a few years ago
involving only 2 of the appointed seats. That board wasn't very
receptive to the idea of change but perhaps things are changing now.

> At this point I'd almost welcome a 200 email flamefest.  Maybe I
> should just suggest disbanding the Board entirely.

I tend to believe less governing is generally better than more
governing in every aspect of life. You mentioned thinking about all of
this in light of the fact that Fedora is potentially moving off in a
new direction and that new direction came from the community rather
than from board. I thought about that too and it made me smile. It did
not make me think the board failed in some obligation to drive big
changes in the project. Rather I think it shows the community is
empowered to drive big changes and the board is not in its way. My
liberty loving instincts see this as a success, not a failure.

John