Empowering Fedora sub-communities

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 2 15:44:45 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:06:06PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> How about if we decouple Fedora-the-product and Fedora-the-community?
> The obvious model here is Ubuntu, who over time have spawned several
> products driven by independent subcommunities. These products are
> independently managed but use common respoitories and are tied to the
> same overall release schedule, and each has its own strong branding -
> Kubuntu even has its own financial backing.

I like the basic idea -- and _especially_ like reinforcing that the Fedora
community (and the Fedora Project) are bigger than the Fedora distribution.

And I also share your concern about the perception. Is the Ubuntu model
drawing the line a little too strongly? If we go this route, I want the...
secondary (is there a better word here?) products to still feel (and be!)
supported and included rather than kicked out or downgraded.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"