Empowering Fedora sub-communities

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Apr 3 21:34:50 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 09:48:22 -0700
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:06:06PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> How about if we decouple Fedora-the-product and
> >> Fedora-the-community? The obvious model here is Ubuntu, who over
> >> time have spawned several products driven by independent
> >> subcommunities. These products are independently managed but use
> >> common respoitories and are tied to the same overall release
> >> schedule, and each has its own strong branding - Kubuntu even has
> >> its own financial backing.
> >
> > I like the basic idea -- and _especially_ like reinforcing that the
> > Fedora community (and the Fedora Project) are bigger than the
> > Fedora distribution.
> >
> Also +1 to the basic idea.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I will add a concern that I always see
around this idea at least as it has been floated in the past, namely
the idea that each subcommunity can just do all it's own work and save
time and energy for the various Fedora groups. Ie:

Each community can just:

* Compose it's own images and save any additional burden on releng.
* Test it's own images with it's own seperate testers so there's no QA
  burden.
* Create it's own webpages to save websites team any effort.
* Market it's own Stuff
etc, etc.

I think that fails either with communities doing things that aren't
great or aren't as good as they could be, or doing things just wrong,
or duplicating efforts, or leaving them to try and find their own
resources.

If we do push the subcommunity idea, I think we
should try and reuse our existing releng/qa/websites/marketing/design,
as their time permits and inside their frameworks instead of forcing
subcommunities to reinvent the wheel.

Just a thought.

kevin