[Fedora Board issue tracker] #182: GNOME 3.12 pushes Google and other commercial, non-FOSS "apps" at users

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 10 18:17:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 01:52:14PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > (presentation of proprietary web services as applications, curation of
> > the list of services, applications interacting with proprietary services
> > in general), it seems like you are really more interested in the
> > _second_ part: the selection and curation of the list. Not _necessarily_
> > whether the website code (either frontend or backend) is free / open
> > source, although you consider that an important factor.
> Be careful.  You actually just lumped your items 1 and 2 together
> there.  Item 1 is essentially selection.  Item 2 is basically
> curation, or the process in which selected items are added to the list
> and maintained.

Um, maybe. :) Or maybe I didn't phrase the list well enough. I meant to
divide presentation from curation (_including_ selection). The word
"proprietary" in the first part is only there because I don't think we'd be
having this conversation if that weren't already there; I didn't mean for
that part to be about closed or open code / content.

That is, I think the two things you proposed in another message:

 1. ask the maintainers to change the UI to highlight web services as being
    web services
 2. ask for an open and transparent method for including/deciding which
    web services to display

map directly.

                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"