[Ambassadors] What's really needed to be an Ambassador?

Pierros Papadeas ppapadeas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 02:39:38 UTC 2010

2010/12/15 Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com>:
> Response below:
>
> 2010/12/14 Henrik Nordström <henrik at henriknordstrom.net>
>>
>> tis
>>
>> I also think the current process is pretty effective in filtering out
>> the unwanted candidates.
>
> So do I.

One more vote +1 here :)

>> I think the underlying question asked here is really how much activity
>> is minimally expected from an ambassador to be considered an ambassador?
>>
>> Which makes me raise the question if it's a bad thing there is some
>> ambassadors which never acheives something visibly significant?
>>
>> If that's bad for some reason then perhaps a followup process is needed
>> where ambassadors annually report back that
>>  * They are still using Fedora
>>  * They still consider themselves Ambassadors for Fedora
>>  * What activities they have participated in if any (no requirement)
>>
>> kindly reminding people to resign as ambassadors if they do not see
>> themselves as ambassadors.
>>
>> For me the most important criteria for being an Fedora Ambassador is
>> mindset and willingness, not actual acheivements.
>
> Removing the "resign as ambassador" part of Henrik's statement -- and I'll
> address it later -- I would agree with the rest of his statement, especially
> the last sentence.
>
> If we have 723 Ambassadors (which is what I think the Nov. 2010 total is),
> then there are probably 723 levels at which Ambassadors participate in the
> Fedora Project. Is that an exaggeration? Maybe, but the point is that we all
> participate on a level with which we are comfortable and at which we feel we
> can make the best contribution to the project.
>
> Also, back in the spring/summer of 2009 we pared down the Ambassadors
> program by asking people who were found to be inactive, "We notice you've
> been inactive, and we're streamlining our program" (not exact words here,
> but something to that effect) "Contact us if you're still interested in
> being an Ambassador." Well, the numbers went from 820-something down to
> somewhere in the 500s due to the fact that those who didn't respond were
> dropped from the program. As a result, I think we got rid of those folks
> who, for whatever reason, stopped participating as Ambassadors.

And we *might* do that again in the future if it is considered
necessary. We move forward organically and adaptively :)

> In some instances, folks who were "taking a break" from being Ambassadors
> got caught in the net, so to speak. Later, when they found they were
> inactive, they asked what happened and some were re-admitted into the
> program.
>
> Now, to address the "resign as ambassador" part: Though it might be an
> additional chore for mentors, I'd prefer they "check in" with their
> "mentees" (or manatees, as we call them in NA) to see their level of
> interest and monitor how their proteges are doing. Ideally the mentors can
> help spur interest in an lagging ambassador, or if the ambassador wants to
> take a break (or leave altogether) the mentor can help facilitate that as
> well.

Mentors around the world are already held responsible for their
proteges actions sometime (as it should happen)
Sometimes they even take action and resolve conflicts or "resigns" as
it is part of their tasks as mentors.
Remember all, a mentor's job is not finished when his protege becomes
an Ambassador.

> But rather than propose a series of figurative "hoops" for ambassadors to
> jump through, I'd prefer to do what is mentioned in the previous paragraph,
> as well as possibly -- possibly -- running the exercise we did in 2009 where
> we purged the list; maybe doing that once every 18 months or two years.
> While this may be a large chore, I think it works best.

Let's not put in a strict time frame. We should use it when needed (if
needed) :)

> Two more things to consider:
>
> a.) The Fedora Project's Ambassador Program, while far from perfect, is the
> gold standard of promotional programs for any distro. Don't believe me?
> OpenSUSE completely copied our methodology in forming their Ambassador
> program late last year and earlier this year (and as far as I'm concerned,
> they're welcome to do so and we should all feel honored as a result).

Can't state that better. We are indeed a fine example of contributor
engagement program.
Stay tuned as more projects are going to replicate us :)

> b.) We have enough to do being ambassadors without weighing ourselves down
> with extraneous rules and regulations that will take time and effort to
> enforce -- time and effort that will be taken away from more important tasks
> in promoting Fedora and FOSS.

+1 this says it all :) Thanks Larry!

--
Pierros Papadeas