[Ambassadors] Usage of tags in Ambassadors list

Clint Savage herlo at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 21 15:44:08 UTC 2010

-- snip --

>> It does seem to me that many lists do actually *not* include the
>> header tag.  For me, the tag is a visual marker to indicate which list
>> is being used.  I am on so many lists and it is sometimes hard to
>> recall which list without some visual indicator.  Yes, I know the 'To'
>> address can help, but most of the friendly names of mailing lists,
>> like 'Fedora Design List <design-team at lists.fedoraproject.org>', or my
>> personal favorite 'For discussions about marketing and expanding the
>> fedora user base <marketing at lists.fedoraproject.org>', make it
>> difficult to determine the list to which the discussion belongs.  In
>> my mail client (gmail), these friendly names usually get cut down to
>> 'Fedora' or 'For discussions'.  I would suspect that other mail
>> clients might handle this better, but I would also argue that many
>> here use gmail.
>
> Couldn't agree more... We need to change that and *at least* have
> proper names for the lists like:
>
> Fedora Ambassadors (and not ambassadors)
> Fedora Marketing (and not "For discussions about marketi...")
> Fedora Design (and the list goes on...)
>
> I will try to raise that on the next board meeting so we can push a
> decision on that.

The only problem with adding 'Fedora' at the beginning of each of the
friendly name is that it seems redundant.  In gmail, unless I click on
the header, the address doesn't show up and often, the friendly name
gets reduced down to the first word 'Fedora'.  I'd say that maybe the
naming convention could be something like:

Ambassdors in Fedora <abassadors at lists.fedoraproject.org>

or

Marketing for Fedora <...

or