[Ambassadors] YouTube - Fosdem-review

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 12:10:34 UTC 2010

Hey Christoph,

2010/2/16 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
> I found a short video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcb9rIfGD64
> You can see the Fedora booth a couple of times. Unfortunately it
> confirms what I wrote previously about the booth service: Not that
> active as it should have been I guess.
>
> Anyway, Next time we'll do better. I just wanted to share this video
> with you.

As far back as i can remember, this has been the status quo at Fosdem.
I am going to be very blunt here, but i really mean this in the most
positive way.

Step up or shut up.

It's the event owner's responsibility to set the policy for how people
should behave at an event. I've worked with a number of different
event owners and each time the policy is different. If you have an
issue with the way the owner of Fosdem ran the booth, i suggest you
email him first in private. Complaining about it in public like this
just creates alot of ill will all around and doesn't help anyone.

If you think you can do Fosdem better in the future, i politely
suggest that you get more involved. A polite email with Frederic is
still the way to go here. Once you've gotten him to agree to let you
help, then it's only appropriate that you do bring the issue up here,
and ask everyone to heed the policy the next time around. If this is
something you feel should be true for all events, write up a generic
policy and ask Famsco to look it over.

This is in every aspect a legitimate conversation we should be having.
We do want to present an image to the public, and i agree with you,
there should be less hacking at the booth. I just hope that we can
find a better way to communicate this and make this change happen
without pointing fingers.

If i'm going to point fingers, i'm going to point them at myself.
OpenRheinRuhr in Bottrop - using a laptop at the booth, guilty as
charged. I promise to do it less in the future.

-Yaakov Nemoy