[Ambassadors] report on BASIS SoftExpo 2010

mak mahayalamkhan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 15:41:22 UTC 2010

Dear All,

We had a great event. We enjoyed a lot all through 5 days of the exhibition.
We arranged FAD in that Expo and almost all Fedora Ambassador from
Bangladesh met for the first time in a place.

The first day expo had less visitors, it might happened due the extra
security for the Finance minister who inaugurated the expo. Almost all
visitor of that day were other booths/stalls attendees. Our Fedora DVD
(locally produced) was very catchy and everybody was asking price of the
medium and were excited to get one free. We distributed only DVD and kept
the T-Shirts for the other crowded day. Earlier this month we received a
OLPC XO laptop from George Hunt, which we kept in our booth for display, it
fetched lot of kids to our booth.

The second day plenty of Linux users flocked in front of our booth, informed
via newspaper about our Fedora Both. They were telling about there problems
and troubles, few brought their laptops and told they couldn't manage to
connect mobile broadband, we tried to make them happy. In this day we
distributed DVD and Fedora Stickers along with our Fedora handbills. We
setup a PC to burn DVD for those who brought blank media.

3rd day was public holiday. The expo had the record number of visitors in
it's history and we were exhausted. Fedora Ambassador  Rejaul
Islam<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rejaul>joined me and shared
half of the pain :) He proved to be very good at
preaching, and later I found he is a man of Marketing. This day we finished
almost half of our DVD and other swags. We were happy to introduce Fedora to
lot's of school boys, Rejaul informed them about the Fedora Scholarship and
inspired to apply.

4th Day was public holiday too, but schools were open. Crowd was limited but
everyone was stopping by our booth to get a free DVD, the word must have
spread via various Bangladeshi mailing lists. we had adopt *
prize-for-the-quiz* before giving a free DVD. We just inquired if they use
any Linux distro or if they have heard about Fedora, even asked what are the
4 Fs and so on. But, the most important part of this day was the first ever
real FAD for Bangladesh. We had already announced that long ago through
mailing lists, and FB event page was there. Almost all Fedora Ambassador of
Bangladesh showed up along with Fedora Users. Imtiaz
Rahi<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Imtiaz>told us about
fedoraproject and it's various sub projects and inspired us to
join other sub projects as well. I told them about l10n subproject and found
that everyone wanted to do some localization. We met Rana Khan, who planned
a Fedora 12 Release party at his University, he was asked to make an entry
in the event page. I decided to give 50 DVD for his party, all other
ambassador agreed to attend his event. We agreed to arrange series of events
through out 2010 and thought. Imtiaz Rahi also requested to step ahead for
the Free Media project and asked to mail him if anyone is interested.
Mizan<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kingheart>agreed to that from
his city Chittagong. At the end we distributed DVD,
T-Shirts, Stickers, clicked group photos and had food. Here is a photo
stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ankur_bangladesh/sets/72157623334524467/

5th and last day was a less happening cause it is the starting day of the
week in our country, though we finished all our DVD (except 50 for the
release party). A group from workshop named WALCOM(!) held in an university
came to our booth and discussed technical things.

Later I became ill, standing throughout the 5 days of the expo and hence
reporting lately. But I was excited to meet all the Ambassador of my country
for the first time, this is the time I had the one of the F (friends); I
want to do this again and again.

regards
Mahay Alam Khan (mak)
Fedora Ambassador