[Ambassadors] DIY booklets for better info delivery

David Ramsey diamond_ramsey at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 04:55:34 UTC 2010

Hello Everyone,

Greetings. :)

Justin, your work looks good.  :)

> I had this crazy idea of taking the idea of a 'zine and making it a useful tool for Ambassadors [and anyone else for that matter but I'm an Ambassador and short sighted :)]. These could be implemented at no cost to RHT/Fedora and could be done for fairly cheap (I think).

For me, I have a quick Hewlett-Packard color printer which I may use.  :)

> Ok Idea #1 is a booklet that I have hacked up a [terrible] alpha quality version of http://dl.dropbox.com/u/194299/Fedora%20Booklet.tar.bz2 The idea is we make a quick intro guide to Free Software and the fedora project. I was thinking 8-12 pages printed on US Legal sized paper [8.5x14 (to allow for a nice full page to read from)] that was basically a subset of the wikipedia article on Free Software (so that it was neutral sounding) and most of the Overview wiki page.

I have downloaded and untarred the content.  +1 for your work.  :)

> Yes I know its on-line so why print it, well because people are lazy. Wiki's are great because they have a lot of information. Wiki's are also a PITA because they have a lot of information :)

It is a good start.  :)

> Another thing that could be done with this is as you are stapling it you could take a paper cd/dvd sleeve and add it to the mix, that way there was one thing to hand people.

Based upon this template as well as whatever else gets update, I am able to print for my location.  :)

> Idea #2 is an "Ambassadors Field Guide" basically the same idea but would have a list of FAQ's and answers, a near total list of contacts for every sub project (I know this isn't totally feasible but I can dream can't I), the talking points for $currentRealease and $nextRealease, and anything else we can come up with that would be helpful to have in hand when we are talking to people.

I usually try to route people to effective and useful Fedora information sources, too.  :)

> I think Idea #2 is absolutely suited to the DIY 'zine format because if you destroy it carting it around in your back pocket you can just print another one.

For my people, I like to provide printed handouts.  :)

> I know that anyone person could make both of these happen but I was hoping to pool the knowledge of others and hopefully get the art team involved so these could be a nice looking as possible.

Very true on getting the art team involved.  I think that others concurred your thoughts.  :)

I like the foldable cover as well as the five pages of content.  :)

I believe that your Fedora Booklet has great potential indeed.  :v)

Please have a great day! :~)

Thank You
Sincerely
=-=-=-=-=
- David -
=-=-=-=-=
David Ramsey
---------------------------------
猿も木から落ちる
さるもきからおちる
Even monkeys fall from trees.
Even experts make mistakes.
=
Fedora Project's Japan & Maryland Ambassador dramsey at fedoraproject.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Dramsey
* Three (3) dual core systems with 3.0 GB of RAM running the Fedora 12 (Constantine) kernel - vmlinuz-2.6.31.9-174.fc12.i686.PAE
* One (1) dual core system with 3.0 GB of RAM running the Fedora 13 (Goddard) kernel - 2.6.32.3-21.fc13.i686.PAE
With eight (8) x86_64 computing cores, 16 GB of RAM and two SATA Seagate 7200.12 500 GB harddisks.
=