[Ambassadors] Helping UP Institute of Chemistry

Heherson Pagcaliwagan herson at azneita.org
Wed Jul 14 07:03:39 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:43 PM, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
>> * Can you think of anything that's missing? Thoughts so far:
>
> Notes from a conversation in #fedora-ambassadors just now with rsc:
>
> * We need a clearer picture of what this will look like. What, exactly, is
> the cost? What, exactly, is the benefit to Fedora? These sorts of things
> should be on the budget request to Ambassadors.

The cost would be the event sponsorship fee + cost for producing
media, other incidental costs will be covered by local ambassadors.

Benefit to Fedora - this will be our biggest presence so far in the
university and although the organizing committee is from IC, the
project is geared towards the whole UP Community (students, alumni,
partners and friends) so there's still a good chance of meeting people
from your usual CS+Engg crowd.

> * Try negotiating with the university so that we *don't* have to pay a booth
> fee. Argument: our presence with our booth is our free time, our hobby, just
> fun - and that we don't have to do this - even if we like to do that. We're
> already bringing them the benefit of a "Fedora Chemistry Remix."

This would be hard to sell. The event is a fundraiser and although
they probably could, I just don't want to ask.

> * Idea: Propose that Fedora pay for the production of media, but that we
> don't put forth the booth donation (we get the booth for free), and instead
> set up a donation bucket where people can (optionally) pitch a few pesos in
> for the CD they're picking up, and the proceeds from that go to the
> university at the end of the night in lieu of us paying a sponsorship fee
> for the booth.

Unfortunately, this won't raise much money.

> * Question: If we do sponsor the event, is Fedora getting mentioned
> somewhere in the event publicity? Fedora has given money to events in the
> past, but it needs to be a successful event and we need to get something in
> return (publicity, etc).

Now we're talking :)

For PHP 15k, we'll have (1) acknowledgment by the hosts during the
event, (2) plain text acknowledgment on presentation, (3) tertiary
billing on all promotional materials, (4) 10 second video commercial
during the event, (5) flyers to 80% of attendees, (6) option to set up
a booth, (7) 3" x 4" banner in the venue.

> Herson, your thoughts as event owner?

I think the event is worthwhile because of two reasons: (1) it's a
good cause (helping IC get their bearings back after the fire) and (2)
we'll be putting the Fedora Project in front of a lot of professors,
students, alumni and university officials.

I want to add more but for brevity's sake that's what's on my mind.

--
Heherson Pagcaliwagan
http://project.azneita.org