[Ambassadors] Media discount = sponsoring?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:17:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> Hmmm.
>
> Adding commercial logos into the Fedora site is bit dangerous!
>
> At least have to be careful in these:
>
> 1) not to give an idea that Fedora has anything to do with commercial
> products/companies

We aren't exactly independent of commercial companies now and we
should be as open about our relationships with commercial companies as
possible ... and clearly indicating who our commercial sponsors are is
an excellent way to do that.

> 2) must be clearly mentioned, that they are sponsors only (for a
> particular section) and does not have any other involvement to the
> Fedora or its development

Sponsors are free to be involved in Fedora in every way you and I are
free to be involved in Fedora. They can and do "contribute" developers
to work on parts of Fedora that interest them.

> 3) must be aware who the sponsors are and do they fit into the "Fedora
> world"

I think we shouldn't really think about this as tit for tat. We want
to acknowledge and thank other organizations that contribute to Fedora
in a substantial way. The sponsors page on the website is a natural
way to do this and the Fedora Board can certainly deal appropriately
with any questionable sponsors if that case ever were to arise.

If you think we need to develop more rules to replace the judgment of
our Board then you should open that conversation on the Board's
mailing list where you can engage those who can make that happen.

John