[Ambassadors] Marketing flyers

Pierros Papadeas ppapadeas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 15:26:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Great job. It is important to have those flyers, but I have just one
> more thing to put in consideration here.
>
> Why don't we say more clearly that Fedora is alternative to Windows or
> Mac OS?

We would be engaged in a trademark obligation "state the trademark
owners" and IMHO the last thing we want to do in a Fedora Flyer is to
mention Apple Inc and Mircosoft

> People might get bit confused if we just say it is an operating system
> based on Linux. There are a huge group of people out there who does not
> understand what is an operating system. They know Windows and they may
> know Mac or Linux (as one system), but they are not familiar with Fedora
> brand/"trade-mark".
>
> I think we should say more clearly the whole thing. Like:
>
> "Fedora Linux OS" or "Linux Fedora OS".

Fedora IS an operating system with not "Linux Fedora"or something else...

We are based on GNU/Linux kernel and technologies so we need not to
confuse someone with Linux OS  Fedora Linux and such things...

> Also I think we should say everywhere that it is _free_ alternative to
> Windows and OSX. I think this is the only way to get Fedora more known
> within "ordinary" and "non-tech" people.

One correction, it is the "free and open source" alternative of
*whatever* . Stating simply *free* is wrong (technically, ethically,
confusingly etc...)