[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Viji V Nair viji at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 31 03:00:21 UTC 2010

Hi

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Onyeibo Oku <twohot at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:59 +0530, "Rahul Sundaram"
> <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If the packages you are
>> interested in cannot be within the standard repositories, you are
>> free to package it in a third party repo and you don't have to
>> wait for any period at all.  However if you have the knowledge
>> and interest to maintain packages,I would invite you to maintain
>> some packages in the official repository or participate in the
>> review process.  Although unofficial/ experimental packages can
>> play a useful role in the Fedora community, mentors would likely
>> be feel more confident with work being done within the standard
>> repositories.  Besides, participation in processes such as
>> package reviews helps you gain the knowledge necessary to do
>> packaging better over time and is a individual benefit regardless
>> of all this.   Hope that helps.
>
> +1, I second that.
>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 21:05 +0530, "Viji V Nair" <viji at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Will do that in any case, you should at-least consider to give some
>> exceptions of thase kind of "rules" in countries like India at-least
>> where the promotional stuffs are much less.
>
> You should visit some African Countries for comparison.  India is having
> it so good.
> An ambassador makes the most of what is available to him/her.
>
>> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Viji V Nair  wrote:
>> This is not true, we are not expecting any respect, but please don't
>> insult. Mentors from India is questioning our intention of
>> contribution, which is an big insult. According to them we are all
>> doing this just for a "name".
>
> You are very upset but don't let your emotions colour your response.
> When someone questions my authenticity, I am compelled to prove myself
> beyond doubt.  You should understand ... I've been humiliated at
> airports for being Nigerian.  Why?  Nigerians are popular for fraud.  So
> should I blow steam when security decides to perform an extensive check
> on me just because I'm different? That won't get me anywhere.  If you
> are not doing it for "name" or "fame" then laugh it off and prove
> yourself.  Impress your mentor.  You are NOT licking his boots ... you
> are showing who you are: An asset!.

I am not emotional, just wanted to mention the attitude. Without
knowing the person and what he is upto, making such kind of statement
is ridiculous and childish.

I dont want to prove to anybody with these kind of attitude, just
ignoring them. I feel like I have applied US visa from a terrorist
country :)