[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

threethirty three at threethirty.us
Mon Sep 13 20:12:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 11:54 -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> Justin --
>
> I find it interesting that you find xchat hard to use and irssi easy,
> however I think it's fairly simple to register a nickname in freenode
> (and, I'm assuming, in other IRC servers) since the registration
> process, as far as I know, works the same whether you're in xchat or
> irssi.
>
> After connecting to freenode -- /connect irc.freenode.net -- using the
> nickname you would like to register, type
>
> /msg nickserv register $YOUR_PASSWORD $YOUR_EMAIL
>
> (where $YOUR_PASSWORD is the password you create and $YOUR_EMAIL is,
> well, your e-mail address)
>
> And essentially, that's it.
>
> I think if you go to /msg nickserv help register you can get more
> information.
>
>         I don't know if this story is going to change any policy or
>         anyone's
>         mind on the matter, but I really wish we would change this
>         policy to
>         make it easier on new (even brand new) users and on
>         ambassadors.
>
> I think there's a good reason that #fedora requires a registered nick
> to enter and since the registration process is not exactly difficult,
> and I don't think we should change this policy.
>
> Larry Cafiero

Larry:

I know how to do it but that step caused the person I was showing to
gloss over. He was ok until that happened. I (still) think it is a
barrier to entry for (extremely) new people to GNU/Linux and Fedora.

<rant>
We should be actively taking down barriers to joining this community not
erecting them.
</rant>

--Justin