[Ambassadors] Applying to be a mentor

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 15:04:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Truong Anh. Tuan
<tuanta at iwayvietnam.com> wrote:
> [...]

I believe you have and so have a lot of other people but unless there
is a specific regional need we don't really want everyone who might be
qualified to be a mentor to be listed as one. That isn't a comment by
me that I don't want you or any other specific person to be a mentor.
FAmSCo needs to identify regions where there are more applications for
the ambassador group than can be reasonably handled by existing
mentors and add new mentors as needed in those cases.

>> and when needs for additional mentors in regions
>> become known existing mentors recommend the additional of new mentors
>
> I think this has been done. At least, Heherson Pagcaliwagan (also an
> existing mentor) said that in bi-weekly APAC ambassadors meeting [1]
> yesterday.
> What should he/she/they do to nominate a new mentor?

Current mentors can nominate people they believe qualified to fill a
need directly with FAmSCo. Either open a ticket or send a FAmSCo
member an email. Just let FAmSCo know there is a need to be filled and
a person they think will do a great job filling it.

> I believe that I can support Vietnamese better to help them go on board
> with us, to be Fedora contributors. I also think I can support others
> (non-Vietnamese) well with my experience.

Let's leave this to be discussed and considered by FAmSCo after a
nomination to them happens. The ambassador list isn't the right place
to discuss the merits of particular ambassadors becoming mentors as we
might easily be overrun with such lobbying and we don't really want to
handle these in such a public place. There have been occasions where
folks nominated to be mentors have been rejected for various reasons
(lack of a need might be one reason but being told no can be
embarrassing if done on a public list and it really shouldn't be
embarrassing because it can happen without it being anything bad about
the nominee).

>> and FAmSCo considers approving those nominated.
>
> I hope that.
>
>> I'm a bit confused because I already see your name on the ambassador
>> mentor list. Have you not been approved already?
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors_Join_choose_a_mentor
>
> That I have added myself to the list. It's a step I see in NewMentors
> wiki page [2]. Is that correct?

No, you will be added to that page if and when you are approved.
People joining the ambassador group use that page to pick a mentor so
the people listed there should already be approved mentors.

>> > I also applying to join into the Mentor group as described on wiki
>> > [1].
>> > Which other things I need to be done more?
>>
>> Generally you just need to wait until you are asked to help.
>
> Thanks, I will start with the first request from a Vietnamese FOSS
> activist who would like to join with us.

You may have misunderstood me because I wasn't clear here. I meant
generally you need to wait until asked to help by FAmSCo.

> [1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-12-24/apac.2011-12-24-04.00.html
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mentors/NewMentors

John