[Ambassadors] Fedora Activity Day at SCaLE 9x: Sysadmin Study Group

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 08:49:51 UTC 2011

[hopefully, this isn't too much crossposting]

I believe it’s a very common desire to improve your skillset as a tech
geek.  I believe there are many people out there who just want to
learn how to do a few things so they can get their job done.  I also
believe that many people would like to make more money at their job,
either as a System Administrator or to become a sysadmin.

The question is, how do you gain the skills to become a better sysadmin?

In my opinion, one of the best ways to gain experience quickly, is to
participate in training classes, such as the amazing classes run by
Red Hat.  But sometimes, those cost a ton of money, and the current
company doesn’t want to foot the bill.  Of course, you are trying to
save your pennies to get to there, but that can take time.

However, there are cheaper alternatives.  I believe the community is
the best way overall to gain this knowledge. While it takes a bit more
time to get there, over time, you can learn a major portion of what it
takes to become a skilled sysadmin.

Local User Groups

I suggest attending a Local User Group that specializes in Linux
administration.  These groups take one topic per month and can educate
you (usually) for free.  I really enjoy my LUGs and have gained tons
of knowledge over the years.

Conference Events

Many conferences, like SCaLE, offer space to communities to run day
long activities.  The Fedora Activity Day at SCaLE is a good example
of where you can quickly gain skills as a system administrator for a
very low cost.  If you are looking to improve your system
administration skillset, I highly recommend attending the FAD at SCaLE
this year.

Sysadmin Study Group at SCaLE 9x

When: Friday, February 25, 9am to 5pm
Where: Los Angeles Airport Hilton, Century B

The study group is about helping you become a better system
administrator and there will be experts on hand to help you study.  We
will also be providing an installation server with Fedora 14, which
will be used to build your virtual or physical machine and give you
real hands on experience with the sysadmin tasks.

Machine Requirements

KVM capable system with approximately 20GB of disk space free
or
Physical Laptop with ethernet and PXE (preferred), USB or CD/DVD
booting capability

Register Today

I look forward to seeing you all come and improve your skills on
Friday, and the entire cost is just what it takes to get into SCaLE,
$70.  Register now!

Cheers,

Clint