[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 4 05:53:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> About the travel costs... yes... But I also wonder why this budget
>> for APAC is smaller than EMEA or NA for instance. The costs for
>> travel to APAC is generally more expensive, while service costs
>> (food, hotel, venue) is usually less. At least for China it is.
>
> I don't know the rationale behind it either.  I could speculate but it
> is just better to ask in the events planning list

There are a few reasons why the budget for the APAC and LATAM FUDCons is
a bit lower than the NA and EMEA FUDCons.  Most of it has to do with the
purchasing power of the USD around the world and the size of the FUDCon
itself.

* NA and EMEA FUDCons have been happening longer, and tend to be larger
events in terms of the number of people who attend.  This makes
everything related to logistics cost a bit more.

* The EMEA FUDCons have a larger budget because the Euro is expenseive
compared to the dollar.

* The NA FUDCon is always the largest one in terms of overall size, and
it gets a bit more money.

* In all cases, if a FUDCon is being planned transparently and the
budget needs are clear, if more budget is needed, we'll find that extra
money.  $20k for NA and EMEA and $15k for LATAM and APAC is a relatively
firm guideline, but not without flexibility.

--Max