[Ambassadors] [Design-team] Mockup: Joining process

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 12:47:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Onyeibo Oku <twohot at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Okay.
>
> While the Ambassadors ponder over the issues presented by Vinz and
> Gnokii, let us trash the design oriented part amongst ourselves.
>
> Right now I see two options:
> A: use gnokii's/tatica's characters as exemplified by Vinz here:
>        [1] http://vinz.fedorapeople.org/join-process/joining-intro.png
>        [2] http://gnokii.fedorapeople.org/kids-design.png

Just my opinion but I don't see this cartoon kid theme as attracting
people who have the Fedora experience and skills that mesh nicely with
being Fedora Ambassadors. I rather suspect it will appeal to the sorts
of people that either don't have any experience to begin with and who
aren't likely to stick with us.

> B: Use *I-don't-know-his-name*'s characters as exemplified here:
>        [3] https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/55/Fedora-15-livemedia-64.png

Can someone explain who these faceless people are supposed to be and
what they are supposed to represent? My mouth pretty much fell open
when I saw the cover art on the finished product and I have no idea
what any of it means. There may be a really cool idea behind it but I
don't get it from just looking at the cover.

> I was thinking in the lines of *B* but adapted to poses that can send
> the 'Ambassador' message. Like Characters with 'name-tags', mic,
> knapsacks, school-bags, laptops etc to represent different areas/levels
> of ambassadorial activities.  I made a crude sketch of what i had in mind.
>
> Here:
> http://twohot.fedorapeople.org/design/wiki/ambassadors/ambassador-sketch-toons.jpg
>
> [DISCLAIMER] its crude!!!
> The idea: Gnokii could vectorize the sketch taking cognizance of [3] and
> add some of his feel to it -- then everybody should be happy.

While I like your sketch here much better than any of the previously
proposed options I guess before encouraging more work in this
direction I'd like to get a feel for why people think this sort of
theme actually fits with the objective of attracting the sorts of
people who will be well suited to the ambassador group?!

John