[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

Gerard Braad gbraad at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 28 13:00:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:58 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've not been very helpful in this discussion and about all I can say
>> is that Neville is exactly right. I have no idea how one could ever
>> choose between them without some high-level project goals in mind. I'd
>> like to select both, one for 2011 and the other for 2012 right now!
> I think that sentiment is well and good, but I also know that the
> Malasian team declined to bid for 2011 but would very much like to put
> together a bid for 2012.  In the interest of fairness, we'll be
> opening up bids for FUDCon APAC 2012 just as soon as we announce the
> winning bid for 2011, and shoot to have FUDCon APAC 2012 somewhere in
> the June/July/August timeframe.

I believe both communities are important and exactly for the same
reasons as Neville. I can only say that any help to the Chinese
community is a win for the long-term. No matter what the outcome will
be, I am sure this will be seen as an inspiration. However, I am also
worried that most of the Chinese members are not able to attend the
Indian FUDCon. As mentioned earlier, it would be wise to have someone
who can decide for us based on metrics, but also with a good
understanding of both options.

About the timeframe for APAC 2012? I would say that is later and
certainly NOT the ideal period; baking hot temperatures ;-)

Gerard

--
Gerard Braad — 吉拉德
   Regional Mentor for APAC/China, Member of FAmSCo